This recipe, slightly adapted from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook (my go-to cookbook, thanks mom!), is a dessert classic perfect for Spring and Summer. Paired with fresh berries this soft and delicate angel food cake is truly heavenly. And don’t forget the whipped cream! Try my recipe HERE, for an easy homemade whipped cream that is 100x better than anything you can buy from a store.
This post may contain affiliate links. Cooking with Ginger is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here is what you will need.
- Egg Whites
- Cream of Tartar
- Vanilla and Almond Extracts
- White Sugar
- Cake Flour
- Strawberries and Whipped Cream (Optional)
Toppings for your angel food cake aren’t necessary but are highly encouraged. 😜 Check out my super simple homemade whipped cream recipe HERE!
Eggs should be at room temperature for better whipping as cold eggs have a high surface tension. However, letting eggs sit out at room temperature for a long period of time can promote bacterial growth. In order to not risk this, I place my pre-measured egg whites in a bowl over a larger bowl filled with warm water to quickly warm up prior to whipping.
Fat will cause less foaming and less volume. Use a three bowl method when separating eggs to be sure that no yolk enters the whites.
Gather your ingredients! I like to measure everything out before getting started.
Beat egg whites until foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar.
Foamy – large air-cells, transparent, cream of tartar should be added now.
Beat until soft peaks. Add in extracts and gradually add in sugar.
Soft Rounded Peaks – the air-cells are smaller and whiter, increased volume, sugar should be slowly added now.
Beat until stiff peaks.
Don’t overbeat the eggs as they will become inelastic and unable to expand when baked.
A better picture of stiff peaks.
Stiff pointed peaks – a lot of very small air-cells, increased volume, ready for use!
Sift the flour over the sugar.
Be very careful to fold, not stir, the beaten egg white foam in with the flour.
Scoop into your tube pan. Level off the top with your spatula.
After baking is complete, cool the cake upside down.
Classic Angel Food Cake
- 1 cup Cake Flour
- 1 1/4 cup White Sugar granulated
- 1 3/4 cup Egg Whites ~ 1 dozen eggs
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer until foamy.
- Add salt and cream of tartar.
- Beat until soft peaks.
- Add extracts, and gradually add in sugar (one spoonful at a time). Beat until stiff peaks.
- Sift the flour over the egg whites. Gently fold together the flour and egg white foam. Do not stir.
- Spoon the cake batter into a 10 inch tube pan. Smooth out the top to level the cake. Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake upside down.
If you made this recipe please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a message in the comments below and don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends if you enjoyed it!
Save the image below to your pinterest boards!