These super easy beef enchiladas with canned red sauce are so easy to make and perfect for a quick weeknight meal at home.
Enchiladas are traditionally made with corn tortillas. (However, I prefer using flour tortillas.) The tortillas are then rolled around a filling and covered in a savory chili pepper red sauce.
Enchilada fillings tend to be simple ingredients such as chicken, beef or cheese. This recipe is for beef enchiladas.
How to Make Beef Enchiladas with Canned Red Sauce:
Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9 by 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set it aside.
In a large non-stick skillet, cook 1 pound of lean ground beef until brown and no longer pink. While browning, chop the beef into smaller pieces with your spoon or spatula as it cooks. This should take about 7-10 minutes to complete. Add the chopped onions when the beef is about 2-3 minutes from being done. Continue to cook until the onions are translucent.
Add salt and a can of re-fried beans to the beef mixture. Mix well to combine the ingredients, then set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a non-stick skillet. Heat each tortilla in the hot oil until lightly fried/ just softened (flip to heat both sides). Add more oil to the skillet as needed until all 10 tortillas are softened. Be sure not to crisp the tortillas. We want a soft, lightly fried tortilla. (pictured below)
Place 1/2 cup of the red enchilada sauce in the bottom of your prepared 9 x 13 baking dish.
Next, fill the tortillas with the beef mixture. Place about 1/4 cup of the beef mixture into the center of each tortilla. Add about 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese to each tortilla filling.
Roll up each tortilla and place seam side down in the baking dish. (pictured below)
Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top of the filled tortillas in the baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese. (pictured below)
Bake the enchiladas uncovered for about 20 minutes until the sauce is bubbly.
Top with chopped green onion and chopped fresh cilantro for garnish if desired.
Try serving your beef enchiladas with these other recipes.
Want more from Cooking with Ginger?
Click HERE to subscribe to our e-mail list to get new recipes delivered right to your inbox. By subscribing to the email list you also get a FREE copy of my eCookbook, Healthy Recipe Swaps: 30 Comfort Food Recipes Made Healthier.
Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
Easy Beef Enchiladas with Canned Red Sauce
- 1 pound Lean Ground Beef
- 1 medium Onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can Refried Beans
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 10 medium Tortillas corn or flour
- 1 (28 ounce) can Red Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 Chopped Green Onion for garnish
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a non-stick skillet, brown the lean ground beef with chopped onion. Break up the beef into small pieces. Add salt and refried beans. Mix well to combine the beans with the beef. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a separate skillet. Place each tortilla into the hot oil for a few seconds, turning to soften. Do not crisp the tortillas, you just want to lightly fry until soft. Repeat until all tortillas have been heated. Set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup of the red enchilada sauce in the bottom of your greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Place 1/4 cup of the beef mixture into the center of each tortilla. Top with 1 tbsp of shredded cheese. Roll up the tortilla and place seam side down in the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the top of the filled tortillas. Top with the remaining cheese.
Similar recipes you may like
Have you tried this recipe? Let me know how it turned out for you! Snap a picture and share it on Instagram with the tag #cookwithginger. Don’t forget to leave a message in the comments below and share this recipe with your friends if you enjoyed it!
New to Cooking with Ginger? Read more about me by clicking here.